Re: What to do about nologin(8)?

From: Andrey Chernov <ache_at_nagual.pp.ru>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:07:04 +0300
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:56:44PM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> >>(2) Make nologin(8) setgid nobody, so rtld ignores LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> >
> >  Wearing my member-of-security-team hat, I have to say I'm rather
> >unhappy with this idea.  It's also been pointed out (by nectar) that
> >there are issues with NFS if files are owned by nobody or nogroup.

This idea is comes from very narrow vision. What to do, say, with
dynamically linked /usr/local/bin/bash? Whole "nologin" story starts
again? Please consider that nologin is just innocent single example of
general problem with _all_ shells, so it needs to be solved generally too,
i.e. in the caller.

--
Andrey Chernov | http://ache.pp.ru/