Re: TLS, Thread Local Storage..

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:14:11 -0800
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:45:23AM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> We need a binutils update anyway. The assembler doesn't understand
> the output of the compiler on most platforms anyway. See also:
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~marcel/tls.html

I'll update binutils once I know others are FULLY committed to all the
other parts missing to make TLS work on FreeBSD.

> It says that only ia64 has full GNU toolchain support (which is
> unsurprising).

This is a big hole and one I'd like to see addressed before I spend time
on a binutils updated that will keep me from something else.

> > The BIG question is "who knows enough about the dynamic linker to be
> > able to make this work for dynamic libraries..?" I gather that our
> > dynamic linker is not the one that linux uses and is specific to us. (Am
> > I wrong?)
>
> No, you're correct. There's a big part for the dynamic linker to
> make it all work.
>
> The hard part for me now is how to distribute the related features
> across kernel, rtld, libc and the various threading libraries to make
> it work in all cases (ie complete vs shared, static vs dynamic and
> threaded vs non-threaded) and without pessimizing non-TLS binaries.

Do you have a plan?  I'll do all I can to make this a success, but I want
to know 100% others are on-board first.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)