Recent problems with -current on alpha...

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:11:47 -0500
With lots of help from Andrew Gallatin and Marcel Moolenaar I think I've
located the problem with -current on alpha and I have a very rough
patch that gets the cluster's Alpha reference machine to the point
it boots and runs.  In a nutshell the promcons stuff used to allow
debugging info to be printed to the console from a very early point
in the boot doesn't work any more.  Things like make_dev() require
the machine to have progressed to the point that more of the VM
system is functional than before (this seems to have begun with the
device megapatches).

My patch moves the initialization of the promcons stuff until after
the VM system is initialzed and comments out all the printf()'s I
could find that might have happened before the console is initialized.

I DON'T KNOW THIS STUFF WELL ENOUGH TO BE THE ONE COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE
FOR DEALING WITH THIS.  Drew and Marcel can look this stuff over for
me but ...  Are there any other folks out there who can take a look
at this and provide feedback?

Thanks...

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu