Re: failed to set signal flags properly for ast()

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:27:18 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> On a -current kernel from this morning, I ran a "make -j 12 -s
> buildworld".
>
> At some point I pressed ctrl-Z and it started spitting tons of
> 	failed to set signal flags properly for ast()  out on the serial
> console, but after about a minute it stopped and the system continued.

I just experienced something identical.  I set up an NFS root box to try
to reproduce what Alan Cox reported, and hit Ctrl-Z to check which version
of the kernel I was running during the build.  Immediatly got a lot of the
following:

failed to set signal flags properly for ast()
failed to set signal flags properly for ast()
failed to set signal flags properly for ast()
failed to set signal flags properly for ast()
failed to set signal flags properly for ast()
failed to set signal flags properly for ast()
failed to set signal flags properly for ast()
failed to set signal flags properly for ast()

It hasn't finished that here yet, but if it's going to stop it might take
a bit as the serial console is 9600bps.  This box was basically running a
buildworld -j 6 with /usr/src in NFS, and /usr/obj in swap-backed md.  No
threaded applications running, etc.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research