Re: buildworld times

From: Vincent Poy <vince_at_oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:58:14 -1000 (HST)
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Vincent Poy wrote:
>
> > > 2.5 hours seems a little high and would seem to indicate that you're
> > > building world under a kernel that has all the debugging options enabled.
> > > Could you make your kernel config available?
> >
> > 	Yeah, I recall that -CURRENT on a Mobile PII 366Mhz took the
> > same amount of time so I would imagine the P4 would be faster since I
> > remember PIII running at 800Mhz or so would take about 2 hours and the
> > Athlon K7 at 1.2Ghz was about a little over an hour.  I'm using the
> > standard GENERIC kernel and do have the debugging options enabled.
>
> Turning off the debugging options (especially WITNESS) can have a dramatic
> effect on performance.  Give it a spin.  :-)

	Besides the WITNESS and WITNESS_SKIPSPIN, do these have a big
effect as well?

options         DDB
options         INVARIANTS
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
makeoptions     DEBUG=-g

Cheers,
Vince - vince_at_WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1_at_IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin