Re: buildworld times

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:25:06 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Vincent Poy wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Robert Watson wrote:
> > As you point out, debugging problems is a lot easier if you run with
> > INVARIANTS+WITNESS.  However, you may well see build times halve or more
> > by running without WITNESS.
>
> 	I always thought INVARIANTS caused slow performance as well.
> Ofcourse, it does seem all the stuff mentioned above is disabled in a
> -RELEASE GENERIC kernel so that may be it as well.

GENERIC's got enough stuff in it that you will notice a good difference in
the disk footprint of the image as well as the memory image of the kernel
when run. I tend to take GENERIC, strip out all of the statically compiled
drivers that I don't need and add whatever options I need on the machine.
>From my own tests, something as simple as "options ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES" can
yield upwards of 5% compile time reduction. This number is even higher on
multi-CPU machines.

Regards,
Andy