Re: can't boot new kernel

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:23:24 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, toxa wrote:

> This is a common question, maybe not suitable for this maillist, but I would
> like to hear any ideas how to work it out.
> Let suppose I build new world and kernel, reboot my current box, and new
> kernel fails to boot (actually it hangs while detecting ata). So I should to
> go into load prompt  and type 'boot /boot/kernel.bak/kernel', whouldn't I?
> Ok, I try to boot and old kernel but now it fails too (maybe because of new
> world?). So now I'm without any working kernel. The only way I see to solve

You're off of the beaten path. If the kernels are not 100% ABI-compatible,
you're most likely going to run into problems. The official fail-safe
(well, much safer at least) way to upgrade is to make buildworld,
buildkernel, installkernel, reboot into single-user mode, mount -a and
then (and only then!) installworld.

> this trouble is to compile a sutable kernel on another machine, boot with
> installation/recovery cd, escape to recovery shell, mount root partition and
> replace /boot/kernel/ with another one? Or does load prompt can offer me any
> builtin feature to avoid using recovery live cd (cuz i haven't neither such
> cd, nor another bsd box actually :)

You're best off doing a binary upgrade of just the base system over your
current install. This is the easiest way to recover from this type of
foot-shooting.

Regards,
Andy