Re: One more patch for Alpha console issues...

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:07:54 -0500
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 02:57:46PM +1000, Peter Grehan wrote:
> > Any further thoughts?
>
>  The problem is that make_dev() calls devlock(), which requires
> curthread to be valid to take out a mutex.
>
>  The fix is to put the hand-crafting of proc0, thread0 and pcpu
> data and mutex_init to be *before* the call to cninit(). This
> is why i386 works.
>
>  I had the same problem on PPC, and fortunately had the psim simulator
> to work out what was going on.

Thanks!!!  I think that's what my latest patch does, by moving
the final console initialization after the proc0/thread0/pcpu setup.

I was most worried that what was truly causing the problems was extra
function calls consuming more stack than before and that starting to
cause problems.  It makes me much happier that there is another cause
of these problems and that it's deterministic.  :-)

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu