Re: Installed 5.2RC from CDROM, fails to boot in manager

From: Clint Olsen <clint_at_0lsen.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:30:26 -0800
On Jan 01, Clint Olsen wrote:

> I had some fun running fdisk on this thing.  Fdisk could never get the
> geometry right for this disk - but it did appear to be able to detect the
> size correctly.  It kept trying to create 3 partitions, instead of the
> usual 2 (the 0-63 partition 'hole' + the freebsd partition).

Fdisk by default wants to create two 'unused' partitions with the freebsd
partition in the middle.  What's up with that?

The more I fight with this, the more I think it has something to do with a
bad fdisk session.  When I attempt to type in the BIOS geometry, fdisk
refuses to accept them.  This is sort of ironic since the install program
says to use what the BIOS thinks it sees!  I tried reading the various
mailing lists for hints on this but without success.

-Clint