5.2-RC2 failed install on SATA

From: Brad Davis <so14k_at_so14k.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 19:21:28 -0700
Hello,

I'm trying to install 5.2-RC2 on the my SATA drive. I have a Adaptec
1210SA controller and a Seagate 80GB SATA drive (model ST380023AS). When
I start the standard install just before the fdisk screen appears I get
the following message:

WARNING: A geometry of 155061/16/63 for ad4 is incorrect. Using a more
likely geometry. If this geometry is incorrect or you are unsure as to
whether or not its correct, please consult the Hardware Guide in the
Documentation submenu or use the (G)eometry command to change it now.

Remember: you need to enter whatever your BIOS thinks the geometry is!
For IDE, its what you were told in the BIOS setup. For SCSI, it's the
translation mode your controller is using. Do not use a ``physical
geometry''.

I hit ok and create a 50000M partiton and install the FreeBSD Boot
Manager. I tell the Disklabel Editor to use the Auto Defaults and the
installer to install the User file set. It goes to a screen saying
creating root filesystem. After about 10 seconds a message pops up that
says:

Unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/ad4s1a! Command returned
status 36

Couldn't make filesystems properly. Aborting.

The debugging messages on VTY1 show the following:

module_register: module sf/miibus already exists!
Module sf/miibus failed to register:17
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa0 to sl0
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa1 to sl0
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad4 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad4 for swap partitions
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad4 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad4 for swap partitions
fstab: /etc/fstab:0: No such file or directory
/dev/ad4s1a: 256.0MB (524288 sectors) block size 16384, fragment size
2048 using 4 cylinder groups of 64.02MB, 4097 blks, 8256 inodes.
super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA recovered from missing interrupt
ad4: timeout sending command=ca
ad4: error issuing DMA command
newfs: wtfs: 65536 bytes at sector 160: Input/output error
ad4: timeout sending command=c8
ad4: error issuing DMA command
ad4: timeout sending command=c8
ad4: error issuing DMA command
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad4 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad4 for swap partitions

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad Davis