atapi_dma sysctl [Was: Re: 5.2RC heavily crashed by kaudiokreator]

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:09:30 +0100
On Sunday 28 December 2003 19:14, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> On Sunday 28 December 2003 18:10, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> > It seems Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > > And while I'm here I'd like to emhasize once again that
> > > hw.ata.atapi_dma is not working. Although the sysctl reports it to be
> > > 1, "atacontrol mode" and also dmesg while booting telling me that it's
> > > POI4.
> > > After "atacontrol mode 1 udma33 udma33" it's reported to be udma33.
> > > So the line hw.ata.atapi_dma="1" in /boot/loader.conf is useless (I
> > > have checked that when I abort autoboot it really is set before
> > > booting) I posted this several times but never got an answer. Perhaps
> > > this should be solved for 5.2-RELESE
> >
> > Hmm..
> >
> > /boot/loader.conf:
> > hw.ata.atapi_dma=1
> >
> > dmesg:
> > acd0: CDRW <QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-242> at ata0-master UDMA33
> >
> > Methinks it works nicely...
>
> Well, not at my machine (i815)
> My /boot/loader.conf also shows hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
> but dmesg shows PIO4. http://www.schmalzbauer.de/netz/dmesg.cale
>
> Can't tell you more, sorry,

Hi Søren,

since christmas I have a new DVD-burner so I replaced my old CD-Drive and I
found out that the hw.ata.atapi_dma Problem has nothing todo with the chipset
but with the drive!
The DVD-burner (LiteOn LDW-401S) is in UDMA33 when booting with the sysctle
set to 1, also another DVD-Drive I tested (Teac DV-516E) is behaving as
expected.
Just my Sony CDU4811 was missbehaving. Perhaps this gives you an idea why/how
this problem can exist (remember that it was possible to set the old drive to
wdma2 with atacontrol mode!)

Best regards,

-Harry