Re: page fault panic tracked down (selwakeuppri())

From: Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:04:34 +0100
On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 14:48, Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Don Lewis wrote:
> My not seeing any problems is consistent with my not using any sound
> drivers.
>
> Did you rule out an invalid file system?  I just tested -current and
> was reminded that it doesn't reboot cleanly if ext2fs is mounted.
> The unclean reboot doesn't affect r/o mounts of ext2fs.  OTOH, r/o
> mounts of dirty file systems are permitted and there is no easy way
> to fsck ext2fs file systems under FreeBSD.  (I use fsck.ext2fs from
> the e2fsprogs port, but it still needs a block device or filesystem
> image to work correctly so it hasn't been easy to use since block
> devices were axed.  I sometimes copy file systems to regular files
> to use it.)

I already thought of an invalid file system. But I think it would be
very unlikely that it only causes panics with the selwakeuppri()
changes.

I normally mount it read only and unmount it manually before shutdown to
avoid these problems. Last time when I mounted it rw and the system
crashed I had big troubles repairing it again. In fact I gave up
repairing it under FreeBSD (always complained about wrong superblock -
ro mounting was working fine though). Finally repaired it using Knoppix
which also had troubles. I only found 1 of about 10 superblock backups
working.