Re: Serial console only works after reboot?

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 07:13:21 +0000
On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 04:50:13PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> It should use BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT and BOOT_CONSOLE_SPEED like boot2
> does.

Ideally, yes. However an assembly language macro would be needed to stuff
the appropriate divisor value into the BIOS call used to set the speed. There
are hardly any bytes free in boot0; I had to shave strings to get enough
space as it is.

Doing sio directly bypassing the BIOS would require that the MBR be enlarged
to 1024, rather than 512, bytes. This is one of the issues I originally had
with the code being imported as-is however obrien was happy to take it anyway.

I'm all for this being added if someone is willing to provide patches.

BMS