Re: FreeBSD Crashes with AMD

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:00:11 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 January 2004 18:48, Don Lewis wrote:
> > Back when Via allowed mere mortals to download their chipset manuals, I
> > looked at the KT266, KT333 and/or KT400 manuals and they seemed to claim
> > ECC support.  I never found any motherboards using these chipsets that
> > supported ECC RAM.  These days the tech support links on their chipset
>
> My experience also :(
>
> > pages lead to pages full of press releases.  I think Via only releases
> > chipset manuals to their "partners" these days.  About the only Athlon
> > XP motherboards that I've found that support ECC use the AMD-761
> > chipset. Unfortunately these don't support the newer Athlon XPs and they
> > seem to be disappearing from the market.  They ones that are left are
> > really inexpensive, though.  The Gigabyte GA7-DX+ I bought about a year
> > or so ago was very reasonably priced at the time and performs well.  My
> > suspicion is that the recent lack of ECC support may be due to AMD
> > wanting to move "serious" users over to their new 64 bit architecture.
>
> Maybe, it seems to me that there is a huge gap between desktop and server..
> I stopped buying 'server' boards for work when they started having dual
> ethernet and dual U160 SCSI - it is pointless to have such things for a
> system which doesn't do much IO (ie use an IDE disk) and only has a modem
> connection..
> Unfortunately there is not much of a middle ground, and ECC supporting boards
> are hard to find if you don't want server boards (at least in my neck of the
> woods). I'd be happy to be proved wrong :)

How about the Asus A7M-266D? Dual proc (AMD) board that does ECC DDR,
doesn't have silly things such as onboard swiss army knifes, SCSI
controllers or built-in ethernet. It makes a perfect workstation at a
reasonable price. My two desktops are based on this board and they've been
rock solid.

Regards,