Re: FreeBSD Crashes with AMD

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:00:19 -0800 (PST)
On  7 Jan, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:01:57AM -0800, Don Lewis wrote:
>> As I mentioned before, for the Athlon XP,
>> look for boards with the AMD-761 chipset.  They are getting rare and
>> don't support the latest Athlon XP's, but some are still available. The
>> Asus board doesn't support ECC, though.
>
> I don't follow.  The Asus A7M266-D is AMD-761 based and does support ECC
> RAM.

I was referring to the A7M266 uniprocessor board, which Asus
specifically says does not support ECC RAM.  It was the only AMD-761 ATX
motherboard that I found that does not support ECC, which suprised the
heck out of me when I was shopping for a motherboard for my Athlon XP
system.  These boards still listed on pricewatch.com.  The A7M266-D dual
processor board is considerably more expensive.

>> Most of the AMD 64 boards support ECC, but are pricey.
>
> Only 1/2.  The Athlon64 boards (ie, socket 754) can't use ECC RAM.
> Only Opteron boards will.

I just looked at the specification page for the Asus K8V Deluxe, which
is a socket 754 board with the Via K8T800, and it says:
	3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 3GB un-buffered ECC and
        non-ECC PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory.
and the BIOS chapter in the manual has a section for the ECC
configuration screen.