Re: Problems with Promise FastTrak

From: <andy-freebsd_at_splashground.de>
Date: 8 Jan 2004 12:29:36 -0000
bde wrote _at_ Thu, 8 Jan 2004 21:38:46 +1100 (EST):
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Dag-Erling [iso-8859-1] Smørgrav wrote:
>
> > andy-freebsd_at_splashground.de writes:
> > > ATA channel 1:
> > >     Master:      no device present
> > >     Slave:  acd0 <20X10/H.DH> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
> >
> > This is an unsupported configuration.
>
> This is supported by FreeBSD, but not fully supported by the ATA standard.
> I use it whenever possible to monitor bitrot in the support.

Actually that is a pretty standard setup for cdrom,
you will find it like that in many preconfigured systems,
even though this one was custom built.

> > > ATA channel 2:
> > >     Master:      no device present
> > >     Slave:   ad5 <IC35L120AVV207-0/V24OA63A> ATA/ATAPI rev 6
> >
> > This is an unsupported configuration.

That's no reason to let it regress :)
And i think it was clear from the mail
that this one wasn't optimal.

> This is supported by FreeBSD, but not fully supported by the ATA standard.
> I don't trust the support enough to monitor it for writable devices.

AFAIR the setup ended being like that because
it wasn't possible to boot from ar0 around the
time (around 5.0?) the system came into life
(I really don't know anymore).

If you want to debug it i will let it like that and help you test
otherwise i just plug it into master and be done.

Andy