Re: is vinum in current working for anyone

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:30:01 +1030
On Saturday, 10 January 2004 at  0:21:02 -0500, Tim Middleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2004 11:08, Stephen Corbesero wrote:
>> So, the problem I reported seems to letting vinum load via rc.conf
>> and the /etc/rc.d/vinum script.
>
> Hmm, i've just been experimenting with vinum for the first time this week and
> set up a small raid-5 to play with. I had been starting vinum manually after
> booting so far, the few times i've rebooted. No problems.
>
> Just an hour before reading this i'd finally added the start_vinum="YES" to my
> rc.conf and rebooted.... after reading this i rushed to "vinum list"...
> and ... sure enough, one of the disks from the raid-5 is now is now
> "unknown". I'm pretty sure it was okay before that last reboot; though i
> can't say 100% for sure.
>
> Being inexperienced with vinum, not sure how to handle this. Reconfig?
> Anyhow, though I can't say for sure the rc.conf startup is what did it... it's
> an interesting coincidence. And needless to say... i've removed
> start_vinum="YES" from rc.conf just in case.

Hmm.  There does seem to be some problem in this area.  Unfortunately,
I've had a lot of interruptions lately, and I'm in a conference all
next week, so it's unlikely that I can look at it before next
weekend.  I'll do that as soon as I can, however.

> Below, disk c should be /dev/ad2s1d
>
> 3 drives:
> D b                     State: up       /dev/ad1s3d     A: 523/20473 MB (2%)
> D a                     State: up       /dev/ad0s2d     A: 523/20473 MB (2%)
> D c                     State: referenced       unknown A: 0/0 MB

As always, http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html tells you
what information is needed to follow up on this kind of problem.

You could try 'vinum read /dev/ad2s1d' and see what happens.  Again,
the log information will be of interest, even if there is none :-)

Greg