Re: Future of RAIDFrame

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:20:53 -0500

Scott> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>> Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org> writes:
>>
>>> I started RAIDframe three years ago with the hope of bringing a
>>> proven and extensible RAID stack to FreeBSD.
>>

>> I'm having trouble seeing what RF does that Vinum (or at least a
>> properly GEOMified Vinum) can't do...
>>
>> DES

Scott> Please read the RAIDframe documents at
Scott> http://www.pdl.cmu.edu/RAIDframe before you ask again.

Having used Vinum is production and on home boxes for some time, and
having come in contact with Raidframe on NetBSD several times, I would
distill this to several points.

- Vinum is fairly fragile and a number of operations have vastly
   non-obvious steps.

- Vinum's support for different types of RAID is limited.

- Vinum's abstractions don't work for more complex cases.

That said, we need a strong and robust software raid.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave_at_daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |