Re: Signal 6's with ruby apps such as portupgrade and pkg

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:15:34 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Edwin Culp wrote:

> I'm seeing signal 6's  with ruby apps such as pkgdb
> and portupgrade also with gaim-0.75, mkisofs.  I'm
> seeing signal 11's with kdm.  This is with today's
> world and kernel.  I also got a signal 15 on syslogd
> but I was able to start it without a problem after the
> machine came up to multiuser.

Sig15 is pretty normal on a shutdown as its the normal SIGTERM.  Sig6 is
SIGABRT and is usually caused by a serious (but detected) program problem.
Sig11 is more serious, usually a program bug, but can be caused by bad
memory or system temperature issues.

I run kdm on my -current box and haven't detected any issues that would
indicate problems with any signal-handling code.

> Is anyone else seeing this or have an idea what might
> have started it.  I'm not able to find a common
> denominator.  I rebuilt all the ruby apps,
> portupgrade, etc.  I've run mergemaster.  Maybe I have
> some old libraries in /usr/lib.  I'm going to check.

Make sure you're upgrading properly.