Re: Problems with syslogd under 5.2-RELEASE

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_compgeek.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:49:58 -0600 (CST)
Josef Karthauser wrote:
> I upgraded a server to 5.2-RELEASE last weekend and since then I've had
> no end of trouble with the postfix mail server.  Mail hangs in the queue
> with errors like:
>
>     81D5A90020    15421 Mon Jan 12 10:42:23  email_at_address
>     (temporary failure. Command output: couldn't connect to lmtpd: Unknown
>     error: 0_ 421 4.3.0 deliver: couldn't connect to lmtpd_ )
>
> It appears that the lmtpd is hanging on syslog output... nothing is
> getting written to syslog at all.
>
> If I kill and restart syslogd by hand I get:
>
>     # /usr/sbin/syslogd -s
>     syslogd: timed out waiting for child
>
> Is this a known problem?  Is there a workaround?
>
> Joe

If you've already tried recompiling Postfix, you may ignore this message.

This may be related to the statfs update back in November.  There's a note
in src/UPDATING about it on 20031112.

A search of the archives revealed this thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-November/thread.html#13828

With this message telling you to recompile Postfix:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-November/013929.html

Jon