Re: Status reports - why not regularly?

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:45:40 -0600
Tig wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:25:33 +0100
>Matteo Riondato <rionda_at_gufi.org> wrote:
>
><snip>
>

>>I'm sorry but I cannot understand your point (this can be my poor
>>english fault..). I'm talking about writing a Report, not about Vinum
>>or in general software development. If neither of us two can
>>understand what each commit means, we cannot write a report about the
>>status of the project and we have to ask a developer to explain what
>>he did. After that we could write our report.
>>Regards
>>--
>>Rionda aka Matteo Riondato
>>G.U.F.I Staff Member (http://www.gufi.org)
>>BSD-FAQ-it Main Developer (http://www.gufi.org/~rionda)
>>GPG key at: http://www.riondabsd.net/riondagpg.asc
>>Sent from: kaiser.sig11.org running FreeBSD-5.2-CURRENT
>>

>My point was you do not need to understand 'everything' to write a
>report. You just need to record what is going on, with enough
>information for people to see who is doing what and where.

It would be much more efficient if even *some* of the developers that
are working on "new-and-cool" features would at least mention it on the
-CURRENT list, or even send an email to the person (people?) working on
the report.  I know it's too much to ask o have every committer doing
this - I would never expect that, but possibly there are a few core
people that could occasionaly shoot an email out with some highlights..
The NDIS thing is a great example.. I broke my kernel build when it was
first going in, and I didn't even have a clue it was being worked on..
Had it not broken a few builds around the -current waterhole, I think it
may have gone somewhat unnoticed (which would be too bad since it is a
nice addition).

Anyhow, it's a great idea, and I think the "just do it" term applies
here - start with what can be figured out, and then hunt committers and
start questioning them ("hey, what's this new thing you've been
committing a lot of lately?")..

Josef already agreed to do the markup (the most tedious part of the
work) - so now it's just information gathering..

Eric

All generalizations are false, including this one.