Re: Status reports - why not regularly?

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:33:14 +0100
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:56:53 -0500 (EST)
Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> The "summarize the commits" would also be an excellent approach, but it
> will be a lot more labor intensive.

Don't we have something like this already? We just need to provide 'some
kind of a diff' of bmah's work. At least from an end-user point of view
that's all what's needed (they want to know: X is new, Y is improved).

It may not show much of progress in public available places, and may not
be attractive to developers which are back home from a holiday, but more
tech-savvy users (or people which want to get more tech-savvy) which
want to know what happens under the hood of FreeBSD read cvs-all (at
least I did this back in the 3.x days to learn more about FreeBSD).

This doesn't cover the people between the above mentioned parties (those
which aren't able to understand if a commit fixes a specific bug or
not), but I've seen no description of the intended audience so far...
BTW.: Such information should IMHO be in-tree and with timestamps
(perhaps with an entry for the introduction of a bug too), like
UPDATING.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I will be available to get hired in April 2004.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net