Re: FreeBSD CVS Question

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:21:07 -0500
At 5:48 PM -0600 1/13/04, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 06:42:35PM -0500 I heard the voice of
>Garance A Drosihn, and lo! it spake thus:
>>
>>  What I did was install the freebsd port named 'cvsup-mirror' on
>>  one of my freebsd machines.  That port turns my machine into a
>>  cvsup-server machine.  I customized it a bit, so I do not
>>  mirror things like FreeBSD-www FreeBSD-gnats and FreeBSD-mail.
>
>I did that also, and just call the 'update' script manually
>(rather than through cron) "whenever I feel like it", which
>usually come out to "right before I go to bed, every few nights".

I used to do it that way, but I would sometimes find that there
was a lot to update when I ran it by hand.  So now I run it via
cron at least once every day, at very early in the morning
(between 4am and 7am).  That way, my collection is rarely more
than a day or two behind.

>Then I use cvs on this box, or cvsup from other boxes on the
>LAN.  And, as a bonus, I get all the history and such right
>at my fingertips, which is nice.

Yes, I like how this all works out.  I wish I had started
using the cvsup-mirror port much earlier than I did.

For those not familiar with this cvsup-mirror process, I should
point out that cvsup-mirror is making copies of the real CVS
repositories.  So, you can run a plain CVS command against the
directory of files that is kept up-to-date by cvsup-mirror.
You don't have to use a cvsup-client to get at the information.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org