Re: acpi S4 resume partition

From: Amar Takhar <verm_at_drunkmonk.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:06:24 -0700
On 2004-01-14 15:02 +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 January 2004 12:47, toxa wrote:
> > Sorry for stupid question but I can't find good documentation about
> > preparing system for hibernating with acpi.
> > I mean, if I use acpiconf -s4 (suspend to disk) then system should to put
> > all memory contest info physical partition and resume from it when booting
> > by bootloader, shouldn't it? So I have to prepare such partition and tell
> > system (probably using loader.conf) to use it for hibernating. Something
> > like "resume=/dev/hda2" in lilo.conf in linux. Am I right? Because for now
> > acpiconf -s4 puts my system into shutdown/sleep, and, when I powering on,
> > it boots into new session, with "partitions was unproperly unmounted"
> > errors.
>
> In principle, yes..
> However there is no support in FreeBSD for suspending to disk so you are out
> of luck..
>
> In theory your BIOS could support S4BIOS which means it does most of the work,
> but I don't think anyone has ever had that work either.

Actually, I remember installing FreeBSD 4.0 on my Dell Inspiron 7500, both
suspend to disk, and suspend to memory worked *perfectly*

Unfortunatly it hasn't worked on any recent versions of FreeBSD, not sure when
it broke.  Inspiron 7600's do S4 via the BIOS and write the memory contents to a
fat32 partition, there is a small utility to set the 'save-to-disk' file.

It was also fine in 4.1 IIRC, some day i'll find the time to figure out why it
dosn't work anymore.

Amar.
--
http://www.ten15.org