Re: acpi S4 resume partition

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:26:02 +1030
On Wednesday 14 January 2004 17:29, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 03:02:27PM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > In theory your BIOS could support S4BIOS which means it does most of the
> > work, but I don't think anyone has ever had that work either.
>
> I had this working on a Dell Inspiron 4150, but it turned out to be much
> slower than just rebooting the thing (about 60 seconds for reading/writing
> it all to disk vs about 30 seconds for booting). I needed to get a Dell
> utility from the website (S2D.EXE iirc) and create a suspend to disk
> partition *as the first partition on the disk*.

OK, interesting :)
I have an Inspiron 8000 and in 4.x I could suspend to disk using the BIOS
after making an image partition.

> And of course, resuming within X was not really supported because some
> things like the display failed to properly reinitialize, just like with S3.

I added a vidcontrol command to switch to the console on suspend, and to X on
resume which fixed the minor glitch I got at the top of the screen.

> In the end I decided to dedicate the space to something else. It wasn't
> worth it IMHO. An OS-based S4 might turn out to be much more useful.

Yeah same here, the BIOS suspend is crippled because it can't do DMA (I
believe) and doesn't know what can be thrown away so it takes ages. Not to
mention the PITA factor if you upgrade the amount of RAM you have..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5