Re: Question on quieting kernel boot

From: Rob MacGregor <rob_macgregor_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:34:30 +0000
>From: Marco Wertejuk <wertejuk_at_mwcis.com>
>
>in my opinion it would be useful, I was indeed already looking
>for sth. like that but haven't found anything and I had not
>enough time to find a solution by myself (like modifying
>scripts etc.) so this idea went away.
>
>Having multiple switches would be nice, like these:
>- completely silent kernel
>- only error output
>- short listing of found devices (i.e:
>found PCI devices: pcib1, pci1, cbb0, fxp0,...
>found USB decices: ugen0, ubt0 ...)
>- normal output
>
>The same switches would be nice for rc scripts but it's
>probably some work, although this seems easier than
>the kernel stuff ;)

Well, in that case...

Can somebody point me to good documentation on the kernel boot process
(particularly what parts of the source tree makes the file
/boot/kernel/kernel).  I'll then start looking at how to, cleanly and
safely, provide a tunable boot verbosity (with the default being fully
verbose).

Assuming I eventually get that working I'll then look to the rc script side
of things to seeing if, sensibly, similar functionality can be included.

--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?