Re: Problem mounting CD-ROM since 5.2-RELEASE

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_compgeek.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:51:15 -0600
On 1/15/2004 3:32 AM, Mike Schreckengost wrote:
>> From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_compgeek.com>
>> To: Mike Schreckengost <mrpolitics_at_hotmail.com>
>> CC: freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: Problem mounting CD-ROM since 5.2-RELEASE
>> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:43:00 -0600
>>
>> I started a similar thread 2 days ago called "5.2-RELEASE: unable to
>> mount cd-roms".  Søren responded on that thread and said "it looks
>> like you arent getting interrupts", but I don't really know what that
>> means.  Maybe that will help you...
>>
>> A verbose dmesg might be more helpful to those in the know -- run
>> "boot -v" from the boot loader and post the dmesg you get from that
>> (preferably posted to a web site given the size).
>>
>> Jon Noack
>
> Interesting ... so it seems as though there must be a problem in the ata
> controller code somewhere, and that would explain this little snippit
> from the 5.2 Release Notes:
>
> ----- BEGIN -----
> (9 Jan 2004) In some cases, ATA devices may behave erratically,
> particularly SATA devices. Reported symptoms include command timeouts or
> missing interrupts. These problems appear to be timing-dependent, making
> them rather difficult to isolate. Workarounds include:
>
> * Turn off ATA DMA using the ``safe mode'' option of the bootloader or
>   the hw.ata.ata_dma sysctl variable.
> * Use the host's BIOS setup options to put the ATA controller in its
>   ``legacy mode'', if available.
> * Disable ACPI, for example using the ``safe mode'' option of the
>   bootloader or using the hint.acpi.0.disabled kernel environment
>   variable.
> ----- END -----
>
> I've tried each of these three options, but had no luck. For some
> unknown reason, setting hw.ata.ata_dma=0 in my loader.conf file caused
> FreeBSD not to mount the hard drive with my /usr partition on it. :(
> When I turn off ACPI, the system likewise refuses to boot.
>
> Anyways, I meant to ask you: What type of ATA controller does your PC
> have? Are you using a SATA controller? (I'm not...)
>
> I'll keep you updated if I find a solution for this problem...
>
> TTYL,
> Mike

The motherboard is an Abit VP6 and the controller is detected as "VIA
82C686B UDMA100 controller".  I'll try disabling ACPI and see what happens.

By the way, as we're dealing with ATAPI devices, setting
hw.ata.atapi_dma=0 (note the addition of the "pi") would be more
applicable.  Then again, if you booted with the "safe mode" option then
this should have already been covered.

Again, posting a verbose boot might get you more help.

Jon