Re: I can not boot my FreeBSD-5.2 partition, please help

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:54:00 -0500
On Friday 16 January 2004 04:52 am, Juan Rodriguez Hervella wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a 40 GBytes hard disk on an old Pentium MMX 266 MHz.
> The first time I plugged it into the motherboard my BIOS didn't recognize
> the drive, but fortunately there is a jumper that reduces the size of the
> disk to 32 GBytes, and that's enough for my BIOS at this moment.
>
> So I've got something like this:
>
> 10 GBytes for Windows 2000
> 10 GBytes for Linux
> 10 GBytes for FreeBSD-5.2
>
> The big problem is that the FreeBSD boot manager that I've
> got installed on my MBR is only able to boot the Windows partition.
>
> So, for booting Linux I've got a 1.44 booting disk. How can I do the same
> for booting the FreeBSD-5.2 partition ? Do I have other posibilities ?
> Any help will be kindly appreciated, but not tell me "buy another hard
> disk...buy another puter.....". I love my puter, ok ? (^--^)

You need to enable packet mode in boot0 for it to work.  It should have done
this automatically during install.  Try booting into the installer and using
the disc2 live filesystem CD in the fixit menu.  You can then use boot0cfg
off of the CD to try to see if packet mode is enabled.  If it's not, enable
it and see if it works for Linux and BSD.