Re: build 5.2-release fails on 4.9

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:02:28 +0200
On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 02:24:40PM +0200, Putinas wrote:
> Hello all,
> after making world and cd /usr/src/release I give command:
> make release CHROOTDIR=/usr/stuff/release BUILDNAME=5.2-RELEASE CVSROOT=/usr/cvs NODOC=yes NOPORTS=yes NOPORTREADMES=yes RELEASETAG=RELENG_5_2 MAKE_ISO=yes
>
> here is what I get after cvs from src... :
[...]
> # Ensure md.ko is loaded if md(4) is not statically compiled into the kernel
> mdconfig 2>/dev/null
> ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
> Abort trap
> *** Error code 134 (ignored)
> env -i /usr/sbin/chroot `dirname /usr/stuff/release/mk` /`basename /usr/stuff/release/mk`
> Bad system call (core dumped)
> *** Error code 140
> Stop in /usr/src/release.
> Exit 1

To build 5-CURRENT snapshot on 4.x, you do NOT need to update
/usr/src to 5-CURRENT and buildworld first, as this will 100%
result in a ENOSYS.  Instead, your /usr/obj should be populated
with the buildworld output for sources matching your running
system, that is 4.x, so if you're currently running 4.9-STABLE,
/usr/src should be the same 4.9-STABLE sources, and /usr/obj
should be a product of it.  This is what gets installed into a
chroot area as the first step of "make release".

Then "make release" can checkout 5-CURRENT sources, and produce
a snapshot of 5-CURRENT.

To do this, you also need an access to a 5-CURRENT version of
release/Makefile, so follow this procedure on a 4.x box:

	cd /tmp
	cvs co -l release/Makefile      # 5-CURRENT
	cd release
	make release WORLDDIR=/usr/src ...

> md.ko is loaded as module,
> but mdconfig originally was not found I compile it from src and installed separetly, but now it complains about missing libraries
> any soliution for this ?

4.x uses vn(4) to produce file system images, so just ensure
that it's in the kernel.  Typing "vnconfig" under root will do
it for you.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov