RE: Worth to try 5.2? (had problems with 5.1)

From: Rob MacGregor <rob_macgregor_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:39:29 +0000
>From: Andriy Korud <akorud_at_polynet.lviv.ua>
>
>Hi.
>about 2 monthes ago I was trying 5.1 on IBM x345 server (Xeon with HT,
>Intel
>PRO/Gigabit adapter, Fusion MPT SCSI) and had the following problems:
>- with ACPI enabled: hang during boot process on keyboard detection;
>- with ACPI disabled: boot ok, but permanent kernel panic in ufs2 code on
>formatting disks.
>Server runs heavy threaded application (oops web cache), up to 1000 active
>threads, so I think 4.9->5.x upgrade should give performance boost, but
>worring
>about stability.

Well, 5.x is still the development branch.  Last I saw they don't expect 5
to be the stable branch until 5.3.  This means that if you decide to run 5.2
then you're running a risk.

So, if you want that chance of a performance boost (which there may or may
not be) then you run some risks.  I'd advise ensuring you have a rollback
strategy in place incase it doesn't work for you.

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?