Re: NFS: Processes marked "in disk"

From: Namik Dala <freebsd-current_at_nada.refused.cc>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:29:23 +0100
On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:29:33PM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> Questions:
>
> (1) Are you using rpc.lockd on the client?  Server?  Are both clinet and
>     server running 5.2-R?  Are you using NFS over UDP, over TCP; NFSv2 or
>     NFSv3?

The default; it's v3 i think.

The problem is (hopefully) solved, the parent of rpc.lockd core
dumped after reboot of the NFS server. Only the the rpc.lockd
process with the user id `daemon' was running. I killed it und
restarted it, and everything is fine now.

> (2) Could you show the output of "ps -axl" for hung processes?  Might also
>     be interesting to have you recompile the kernel with "options DDB"
>     and "options BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER".  When a process hangs on the client,
>     hit ctrl-alt-escape (or serial break on serial console), then type in
>     'trace pid', substituting the pid of the process in question.

If it dies again, I will do this.

> There are some known issues involving NFS, most of them involving
> rpc.lockd.  There are some other reports of NFS problems, but they've been
> hard to track down, as they appear to be very sensitive to the local
> configuration.

Thank you.

						-Namik-