Re: Shuttle SB75G2

From: Taavi Talvik <taavi_at_uninet.ee>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:41:14 +0200 (EET)
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, John Kennedy wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:09:35PM -0800, John Kennedy wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:32:09PM -0800, John Kennedy wrote:
> > >   The system works well enough to load, boot and install 4.9 and 5.2.  I
> > > can't get it to stay up long enough to recompile the OS (dies during
> > > buildworld).  When the system dies, it tends to freeze or reboot.  Once, it
> > > looked like it may have double-faulted (haven't chased that one down yet).
> >
> >   At this point, I'm sort of running low on suspects.  It really doesn't
> > seem to be FreeBSD since XP and Memtest86 can generate the same types of
> > results.  Memtest86 in particular probably doesn't use much of the rest of
> > the system.  XP has always hung, Memtest86 has always rebooted, and FreeBSD
> > has done both. ...
>
>   I had a few people (Nigel Weeks, Don Lewis, Sean Lazar -- thanks) suggest
> thermal problems.  I tried to eliminate that early on by doing tests back
> to back (expecting heat would make the failures come faster), but that
> didn't seem very promising.

In case of thermal problems you will probably see following in
/var/log/messages:

Jan  8 17:57:48 xxx kernel: acpi_tz0: WARNING - current temperature (76.8C) exceeds system limits
Jan  2 23:54:06 xxx kernel: acpi_tz0: WARNING - current temperature (76.8C) exceeds system limits

Recently I started to have thermal problems. My laptop has either grown
to age or upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2 current acpi code changed something and
cooling does not kick in fast enough on rapid temperature rise (i.e. make
world or dvd playback) or does not work for long enough.

I found that 'sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime=300'
was good cure for my laptop.

best regards,
taavi