Re: Strange behaviour

From: Chip Norkus <wd_at_teleri.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:44:55 -0600
On Thu Jan 22, 2004; 12:54PM +1100 Lachlan O'Dea propagated the following:
[snip]

> I have exactly the same behaviour on a Dell PowerEdge 2500, including
> progressive degradation as more processes get hung on filesystem
> access. I don't need network activity to recreate it. Makewhatis at the
> end of installworld in single user mode all on the same local partition
> will hang forever on getblk. The find commands run by the daily cron
> jobs almost always hang as well. It seems to be triggered by certain
> patterns of filesystem use. Please see:

Let me throw in a 'me too' here.  I've had the same problem on 2650s and
1650s, if a process gets stuck in getblk/ufs states eventually the machine
will become almost unuseable and will require a reboot.  If a developer
wants to check this out I have a spare machine that can be used for
futzing, and I can provide serial console access.

> <http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?D90B8DC2-471E-11D8-A84C
> - -000A95DBB47C>
>
> and I believe this thread is discussing the same thing:
>
> <http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?7mznedas57.wl> (includes some DDB
> output)
>
> I have DEBUG_LOCKS in my kernel, but I'm not really sure what to do
> with it. I haven't heard of DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS before, I'll look into it.

'me too' here too. :/

> - --
> Lachlan O'Dea
> Computer Associates
> Programmer
> tel: +61 3 8416 5627
> fax: +61 3 8416 5810
> mobile: +61 412 390 650
> odela01_at_ca.com

[snip]

-chip
--
personal: chip norkus; renaissance hacker;        wd_at_teleri.net
work:     systems engineer _at_ lunarpages, inc.;    chip_at_lunarpages.com