Re: 5.2-RELEASE Crash [ACPI Related?]

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:55:53 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Daryl Chance wrote:

> I have a reproduceable crash from a box  that i'm
> trying to boot 5.2-Release on.  It boots fine all the
> time....unless I power it on and then switch over to
> another machine (it's on a KVM).  If i wait till it
> should be booted then change back over, it's crashed
> right when it's starts to boot.

Very interesting.  One of your processors dies when its apparently not
switched to the KVM.

For those of you who can't see the photo, it barfs with:

AP #2 (PHY# 6) failed!
panic y/n? [y]

I would strongly suspect a bad cable or electrical problem with the KVM.
When its not enabled to your machine it may be grounding inappropriately
and causing all sorts of wierdness.

Things you may consider doing:

Buy a higher-quality KVM.  Particularly if its the cheap Belkin SOHO
series -- I have seen nothing BUT problems with these. I have OmniCubes
and OmniViews that work OK, but they're still not quite perfect with some
systems.

Buy a socket tester and make sure your sockets are correctly grounded. You
can get such a tester at any hardware store or home impovement supply.
Its usually yellow or red with three LED or neon bulbs on one end.  It
will light up in a particular pattern if there is a problem with the
wiring.

Check your power cables to make sure the ground pins are conducting.

Some machine designs also just plain don't like KVMs, but I've never seen
it kill a *processor*.