Re: 80386 support in -current

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:09:45 +1100
On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:40:52PM +1100, I wrote:
>Does anyone know why FreeBSD 5.x would not run on a 386SX/387SX
>combination?  I realise the performance would be very poor but I
>don't see any reason why it wouldn't work at all.

Based on the responses, I should have included more details.  In my
defense, I was being dragged out of the house at the time.  This is a
theoretical question rather than a problem with an actual system.  I
am aware that the FPU is mandatory (hence the 386/387 combination) and
I'm aware that I need to build a kernel with "CPU_I386" which then
can't run on anything else (I meant to state this).

My question was triggered by reading the 5.2-RELEASE i386 Hardware
Notes which state that the 80386 is supported but the 80386SX isn't.
I believe this is a documentation bug - especially since the "80386SX
isn't supported" was committed about a week after the FPU emulation
code was axed, though there's no mention of FPU requirements in the
hardware notes.  I've written a PR (www/61824) but thought I'd double
check my facts.

Peter