5.2-rel NFS lockup and networking performance

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:10:09 +0100
Dear developers,

I just upgraded one of my servers from 5.1 to 5.2.
Now when I dd from a linux box on a nfs-mounted 5.2 testfile writing 100kKb
takes about 5 Minutes because the machine repeatedly "locks up". It seems
every disk access is blocked for a while. (on the linux(debian woody) box:
"dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/nfs/testfile bs=1k count=100000")
But not only that NFS is broken with linux (I can do the same from my
5.2-current without locking up the 5.2-rel machine), also the performence is
even more awful than with 5.1. Max transfers are about 4.5Mbyte/s and with
samba I can get 3.5Mbyte/s. On the same machine with 5.1 it was about 8Mbyte/
s for NFS and about 5.5Mbyte/s for samba.
I think I'll have to switch back to 4.9 since I can remember having had more
than 9Mbyte/s even for samba with much older hardware arround FreeBSD 4.4.
Can anyone confirm that 4.9 is still performing like this?

Does anybody know about this NFS bug and this really weak networking
performance?

Best regards,

-Harry