atkbd[c] woes with Fujitsu-Siemens KBPC-S2 D [i386 in PC]

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:57:30 +0100
Hi,

I have recently replaced my almost-worn SNI-OEM TAPC-S keyboard by a new
FSC KBPC-S2 D. When FreeBSD boots (as in: load has started the kernel),
the keyboard gets probed, reset (according to the default flags that I
left untouched), and disabled. dmesg, harvested from /var/log/messages:

atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x64,0x60 irq 1 on acpi0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
atkbd: the current kbd controller command byte 0065
atkbd: keyboard ID 0xffffffff (1)
atkbd: failed to reset the keyboard.
device_probe_and_attach: atkbd0 attach returned 6

The displayed keyboard ID varies, I've seen 0xffffffff, 0xffab and
0x41ab. In either case, the "failed to reset the keyboard" was there
unless the ID was 0x41ab. Attempts with booting either the SNI or the
FSC keyboard are logged below.

Doesn't matter whether I set flags to 0x0 or leave it at 0x1, the
keyboard is "dead".

It works if I boot with hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x2" in /boot/device.hints,
and I have been able to get the keyboard working (one attempt only) by
setting

options KBD_RESETDELAY=3000
options KBD_MAXWAIT=3

and recompiling kernel.

I have no figures yet as to how reliable this is.

It fails with KBD_RESETDELAY=1600.

It works if I boot up with the old SNI keyboard and then unplug the old
one and plug in the new one (yes I know keyboards aren't hotplug, but I
don't care).

I'm going to try a resetdelay of 2300 on my next kernel, and I have set
KBD_DEBUG to 1, so if I should look for more logs, feel free to ask or
send other debugging inquiries.

These troubles seem to have been introduced after FreeBSD 5.1; I recall
having installed a 5.1-install.iso on a Primergy RX300 server with the
same keyboard type (different exemplar) and could use the keyboard
without problem and when I then cvsup'd from 5.1-RELEASE last November,
the keyboard was also gone after kernel boot. I didn't report it at that
time because the hardware was shiny new and it's -CURRENT, but now that
it happens post-5.2-RELEASE with different hardware, here's my mail :-)

I wonder what this is, if it takes time after reset to synchronize
clocks, if FreeBSD asks the keyboard too early or whatever.

Thanks in advance,

--
Matthias Andree