Re: Project Evil: The Evil Continues

From: James Green <jim_at_thebadger.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:45:22 +0000
> > Win2k drivers don't seem to work at all.
>
> Define "don't seem to work." In theory, the Win2k and WinXP drivers
> should both work, though admittedly I only experimented with the XP
> ones myself. I suppose since I have sample Centrino cards, I should be
> able to track this down, but if you could elaborate on what problems
> you had with the Win2k drivers, it would help.

Ok, the Win2k drivers from the same driver package from Dell (w70n5.inf,
w70n5.sys; DriverVer = 06/11/2003,1.2.0.56) results in:

# make load
/sbin/kldload -v /usr/src/sys/modules/if_ndis/if_ndis.ko
pci2: <network> at device 3.0 (no driver attached)
Loaded /usr/src/sys/modules/if_ndis/if_ndis.ko, id=11

# ifconfig ndis0
ifconfig: interface ndis0 does not exist

The XP package contained w70n51.inf and w70n51.inf (DriverVer =
06/11/2003,1.2.0.56), which worked.
Let me know if there is any more information that would be helpful.

> > I can pull up to about
> > 660Kbyte/s across it. No signs of instability. Not tried WEP and only in
> > adhoc mode (I understand that they are not supported yet?).
>
> I don't know what led you to believe this. WEP is supported, as are
> both infrastructure and ad-hoc mode:

Apologies. Being at home with flu and reading so many mailing list archives that
they have all merged in to one..... I think I confused myself with a post to
freebsd-mobile in mid December about getting a Dell TrueMobile 1400 (bcm4309)
working... Sorry.

Will certainly have a play with WEP (and infrastucture mode if I can get
the NetGear MA101 to play nicely under Linux... euugh!) Will let you
know if I run in to any Project Evil related problems or try any more
hardware.

Thanks,
-J