Re: [PANIC] today's cvs with KTRACE and MUTEX_PROFILING enabled (Big Post)

From: Jun Su <csujun_at_263.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:11:02 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Watson" <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
To: "Jun Su" <csujun_at_263.net>
Cc: <current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 10:38 PM
Subject: Re: [PANIC] today's cvs with KTRACE and MUTEX_PROFILING enabled
(Big Post)

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Jun Su wrote:
>
> > I got the following panic when booting. Seems the if_data_mutex is
> > corrupt by something.If you need any information, please feel free to
> > let me know.  Thanks.
>
> Are you running with kernel modules?  If so, were all of them built as
> part of your kernel build?  Turning on mutex profiling changes the size of
> the mutex structure, so if you have modules that aren't built to be aware
> of mutex profiling, you will get memory corruption.  When using mutex
> profiling, I would generally suggest avoiding the use of kernel modules,
> since it avoids the whole issue...
Yes. This is the root cause. Our module building env doesn't include
opt_global.h. Then the module's mtx doesn't match the one in Kernel. I think
this is a requirement for MUTEX_PROFILING, not a suggestion before we
complete the new building env for kernel module. I suggest to add this to
man page. What is your option?

Thanks,

Jun Su