Re: Project Evil: The Evil Continues

From: George W. Dinolt <gdinolt_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:10:09 -0800
Hello:

Reporting on a card: Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC54G

With updated drivers from Linksys: Version 3.30.15.0

The card reports both 802.11b and 802.11g speeds and connects with my
AirPort Extreme and another (unknown type) base station without problems
at both 802.11b and g speeds. wicontrol reports information about the
card and the -l option provides information about visible base stations.
I can only set the ssid with ifconfig. I tried a transfer of a large
file and got 1.5MB/sec rates actual rates using scp.

The only problem at the moment is that I cannot use WEP with my AirPort
Extreme. I tried to use the "hex" 128bit key provided by the MAC airport
utitlities. This key works fine for the mac and for the WPC54G card
under WINDOWS 2000, but does not work with the driver on FreeBSD. The
"correct" key is set (as viewed by both ifconfig and wicontrol) but the
station does not associate. I have tried turning WEP on using both
ifconfig (wepmode on) and the hw.ndis0.WEP sysctl which is constructed
by the driver. As far as I can tell no errors are reported when I "up"
the device using ifconfig.

Anyway, the current state is quite remarkable. Great job!

Regards,
George Dinolt