Re: Weird locale troubles (?!)

From: Pav Lucistnik <pav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:38:25 +0100
V t, 27. 01. 2004 v 10:33, Michael Nottebrock pe:
> Andrey Chernov wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 10:20:36AM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> >
> >>Does this mean that our locale is bogus or Linux'/glibc's is?
> >

> > Our locale is right in that area. Don't know about Linux/glibc locale or tr
>
> That actually wasn't a serious question. The output is OBVIOUSLY bogus - it
> should be ROUTER, glibc's locale does the right thing (and ours breaks GNU tr
> as well).

I asked on exactly this same "feature" few months again, and I was told
that it's illegal to abuse `tr a-z A-Z` to do uppercase conversion.
So just rewrote your script to use use awk toupper() ...

And yes, it's commonly abused feature. And yes, it's annoying. And no,
upstream authors are not gonna fix it.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav_at_oook.cz>
              <pav_at_FreeBSD.org>

> Why do we need a film of "Lord of the Rings" when we have the book?
Because watching a cg enhanced Legolas fire a flaming arrow
into the heart of a warg is cool?
    - asdf_at_asdf.com in rec.games.roguelike.angband