Re: FreeBSD SCSI/RAID boot problem

From: Scott Lambert <lambert_at_lambertfam.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:38:21 -0500
On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 07:36:12PM -0600, Marc Cabanatuan wrote:
> Alright I have posted before regarding this NetServer LH Plus w/ the
> Mylex DAC960 RAID controller and the 5 disk SCSI array.
>
> I have managed to install FreeBSD 5.0-DP1 onto the system, however it
> fails to boot. Last time it just beeped at me and did nothing, this
> was solved by fixing the drive geometry with a win98 boot disk. Now
> the problem is that it seems to not be finding the kernel or /boot
> device or / partition.
>
> could this be a large block assignment problem where a lowlevel format
> could be necessary?

I had a similar (maybe the same) problem, installs fine doesn't boot
afterward, with a DAC960 controller when I upgraded from 2.x to 4.x.  I
had to change a setting in the controller BIOS from 2MB to 8MB, Or was
it GB?  It was a couple of years ago.

Sorry my memory is so vauge.

lambert_at_lambertfam.org