Re: API to turn off the display

From: Josh Elsasser <jre_at_vineyard.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:14:44 -0500
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 06:07:27AM +0900, Taku YAMAMOTO wrote:
> I wrote a driver that handles what John told.
>
> http://access.cent.saitama-u.ac.jp/~taku/freebsd/acpi_vid-20031013.tar.gz
> MD5 (acpi_vid-20031013.tar.gz) = adbfa6931e505544fb784e00c7b974e7
>
> This driver uses ACPI video extension to control display switching and
> backlight brightness. So working ACPI is a requisition for this driver.
>
> Whether it does or does not work depends heavily on how well the BIOS written,
> however, I hope it worth trying.
>
> Suggestions, working/not-working reports etc are very appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> taku
> --
> -|-__    YAMAMOTO, Taku  <taku_at_cent.saitama-u.ac.jp>
>  | __ <

I get this output when I load the driver:

acpi_vid0: <ACPI video extension> port 0x530-0x537 on acpi0
found TV(200), detectable by BIOS, head #0

The only sysctl I get is hw.acpi.video.tv0.active, which was set to 1.
When I set it to 0, the display powers off.  I can't seem to set the
sysctl back to 1, so cannot turn the display back on.

Note that on resume from S3 sleep, my display will also not power on,
and I have to set hw.acpi.reset_video=0 in /boot/loader.conf or I will
hang on resume.

This machine is a Sony Vaio FX200 running -CURRENT from a few weeks
ago, and has VGA and a tv-out ports.  I suspect my BIOS is quite
broken, as I have had endless issues with IRQ routing, USB, PCMCIA,
and ACPI.

I have made my ASL and DSDT available here:

http://www.elsasser.org/vaio.asl
http://www.elsasser.org/vaio.dsdt

I am primarily interested in a way to power on my display after
resume, but it would be nice to be able to use the VGA and tv-out
ports as well.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

 -jre