Re: nss_winbind support

From: Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:57:32 -0600
On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 04:33:06PM -0500, Will Saxon wrote:
> > > I may have just missed it but there doesn't seem to be a lot of
> > > information available on how to set Samba 3 up under FreeBSD 5.x to
> > > use nss_winbind and pam_winbind. What information I have
> > found doesn't
> > > seem to work, maybe because it focuses on joining the domain as an
> > > NT-style domain member vs. Active Directory-style membership.
> >
> > Sorry I can't help with this one, still working it out myself.
> >
> > I have had it working previously with rpc but not ads.
>
> Just a followup, in case anyone else cares.. This problem has been worked
> on and may be fixed in the samba CVS tree as of the 7th of this month. It
> should be in the latest release candidate that has been posted recently.
>
> You have to copy the libnss_winbind.so module from samba/source/nsswitch/
> into /usr/lib and make symlinks to libnss_winbind.so.1 and perhaps
> nss_winbind.so.1 and nss_winbind.so.2 (or so I read). I am now able to
> assign microsoft domain user/group permissions on files and directories
> and presumably I will be able to replace our fileserver with a samba3
> machine which participates in the Active Diretory and uses kerberos
> authentication, etc.
>
> Very happy about this....

I haven't been following this thread, but the above
information does not seem correct.  If the Samba port is built
WITH_WINBIND_NSS, then the NSS module will be correctly installed as
`/usr/local/lib/nss_windbind.so.1'.

What problem exactly are you having?
--
Jacques Vidrine   NTT/Verio SME      FreeBSD UNIX       Heimdal
nectar_at_celabo.org jvidrine_at_verio.net nectar_at_freebsd.org nectar_at_kth.se