ATA problems with Jan 28 ~ 11:00 EST 2004 sources.

From: Scott Lambert <lambert_at_lambertfam.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:17:08 -0500
I cvsuped and built a new world and kernel yesterday at approximately
11:00 EST, 16:00 GMT.

During reboot to the new kernel, it hung on the CD drive with a DVD in
it.  I think it has done that with earlier kernels too, but I don't
often have a disk in the drive.  I tried again with an audio CD in the
drive and it also hung.  I manually wrote down the verbose dmesg about
the hang but left it at home this morning.  It boots just fine without
disk in the drive.  I didn't have a data disk within reach and didn't
test that combination.

Today I tried to burn a 5.2-RELEASE ISO so I can test the ida controller
in one of my Compaq 1850Rs.  I see the same (I think) dmesg output and
the burncd process is hung waiting for disk io.

acd0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_BIG retrying (2 retries left)
ata1: reiniting channel ..
ata1: reset tp1 mask=03 ostat0=50 ostat1=01
acd0: stat=0x00 err=0x01 lsb=0x14 msb=0xeb
ata1-slave:  stat=0x01 err=0x04 lsb=0x00 msb=0x00
ata1: reset tp2 mask=03 stat0=00 stat1=01 devices=0x4<ATAPI_MASTER>
ata1: resetting done ..
acd0: pio=0x0c wdma=0x22 udma=0xffffffff cable=40pin
acd0: setting PIO4 on AcerLabs Aladdin chip
acd0: setting WDMA2 on AcerLabs Aladdin chip
acd0: setting WDMA2 on AcerLabs Aladdin chip
ata1: device config done ..
acd0: WARNING - WRITE_BIG interrupt was seen but timeout fired
acd0: WARNING - WRITE_BIG interrupt was seen but taskqueue stalled

To my memory, that is exactly the output that I got when booting with a
DVD in the drive with the exception that of "sed 's/WRITE_BIG/READ_BIG/g'".
With the audio disk, I think it was READ_CD but I'm not sure exactly.

This is a Compaq Presario 2195us.

Info about FreeBSD on this laptop:
http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/laptop/Presario_2195US/5/

Snapshot of various troubleshooting data (configs, dmesges, ps, sysctl
hw, uname update log, ... :
http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/laptop/Presario_2195US/5/20040129-1745/

With this kernel, I've had a panic on shutdown and a hang on shutdown.
I was in a hurry both times.  Those are the only two times I've shutdown
with this new kernel.

lambert_at_lambertfam.org