Re: unusually high load averages

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:03:00 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Jake Khuon wrote:

> I'm noticing some unusually high load averages even though nothing seems
> to be taking up much CPU.  This started happening with a recent cvsup
> (last night).  Anyone know what might be causing this?

There were a couple of scheduler changes and a change in the way load
average is calculated, and the result is definitely wrong. :-)  I'm
running with a load average of about 1 right now, and the system is
completely idle (it really is, I promise).  So I don't think it's that the
system is working harder, so I think it's really a monitoring/calculating
problem.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research