Re: max blockdevice/filesystem size?

From: Oliver Brandmueller <ob_at_e-Gitt.NET>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:45:48 +0100
Hi.

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 01:43:50AM +0100, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> > Since the information in the FAQ seems rather outdated, can someone tell
> > me, what the maximum size of a UFS2/ffs filesystem is with FreeBSD 5.2?
> > I'm looking for practical values. Something like: OK, we hit the max
> > size of a SCSI device, so we use some more of them and vinum. How much
> > TB would work in a single FS?
>
> See this thread for detailed information:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-January/thread.html#19314

Well, I've seen that read earlier, but well it talks a lot about the
limits of UFS1 and FBSD 4 - which are by far too low. Plans here were
something about 10 TB as a first step. Due to the nature of data and how
they are accessed it's not really simple to split them up into different
filesystems, as it's not easy to predict which parts grow most.

Well, would a 10 TB fs work out of the Box with 5.2?

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |