Re: issues with em, ndis & 1 gig RAM in -current

From: Jonathan Pater <pater_at_slashdot.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:46:21 -0400
On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 11:24:36PM +0000, Bill Paul wrote:
> Unfortunately, I can't really help you with this problem: Intel wrote
> the em(4) driver, and I'm not terribly familiar with it. Did you
> try locking the speed down instead of leaving it with autoneg on?
> (That would be ifconfig em0 media 100baseTX. NOTE: I left the
> "mediaopt full-duplex" part off on purpose. Just trust me on this.
> Leave the switch set for autoneg and do "ifconfig em0 media 100baseTX"
> and see what happens.)

That didn't help me, but a new hard drive and a different OS confirm
that this isn't a software problem, but a hardware one. Sometime in the
week between when I first installed the machine and noticing the
problem, my network card went south. Sorry for wasting your time with
this.

> Unfortunately, there's only one way you can help (as far as ndis is
> concerned), and that's to fix it so I can debug the machine remotely. I
> don't have access to any hardware even remotely like this (except
> possibly for the LinkSys wireless card), so it's impossible for me to
> test or debug this myself.
>
> There are two things that could be going wrong here:
>
> 1) NDIS is doing something wrong with busdma and is not DMA mapping
>    buffers in the other gigabyte of memory correctly
> 2) NDIS is doing something wrong with resource allocation and isn't
>    mapping the PCI memory mapped register window correctly
>
> It's hard to tell. You provided a dmesg with the machine configured
> with 1GB of RAM (the working case) but not with 2GB of RAM (the
> failure case), so I can't make a comparison. Regardless, without
> access to the box, I'm sort of stuck.

I'm working on getting the machine up with a new network card (the old
one was onboard) and it might require me replacing the motherboard, but
once I do, I can set you up with an account to poke around at things.

thanks much,

--
   Jonathan "CowboyNeal" Pater         |                 pater_at_slashdot.org
   http://cowboyneal.org/              |               http://slashdot.org/