Re: kern/68442: panic - acquiring duplicate lock of same type: "sleepq chain"

From: Daniel Lang <dl_at_leo.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:03:17 +0200
Hi again,

Daniel Lang wrote on Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 05:32:21PM +0200:
[..]
> However, the panic is obviously triggered inside the witness
> code, because *lock_list = 0x0 in line 749. Although a few lines
> above, the list is checked for beeing empty (line 707), just
> Colin has already pointed out from the first trace I could
> get. But between line 707 and 749 there is no obvious modification
> to this list. I am not sure what 'find_instance()' does?
> So maybe another thread on another CPU has modified the locklist
> meanwhile? Is this possible?
[..]

I just removed WITNESS from the kernel and see what happens.
If this is some strange corruption it may show somewhere
else if WITNESS is removed. Maybe this could be more obvious
then. If it doesn't crash any more, this could mean
WITNESS code itself is broken.

Btw, the addition of WITNESS is indeed something that has
changed since all the trouble started. When the machine was
still running in a stable fashion I did not have WITNESS
enabled. I did it, when I put in more memory and built a PAE
kernel and left it in since.

Cheers,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                    - All your .sigs are belong to us -
 Daniel Lang * dl_at_leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/