HEADSUP: Native preemption added to the kernel scheduler

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 17:21:52 -0400
In theory this is a big NOP except for some small optimizations in the form of
avoiding a few context switches and avoiding some run queue operations.
Several people have tested this code but there may be some remaining
adventures.  Note that this adds a printf during dmesg for architectures that
do not support preemption about preemption being disabled and degrading
performance (mostly via increased latency).  Preemption is enabled by
defining PREEMPTION in <machine/param.h> and architecture porters are
encouraged to get preemption working on their architecture.